15 October 2009

iPhone Review

If you read my blog posting of 30th September, you’ll know that after a couple of years of deliberating, I went and bought an iPhone. Think that was a lengthy decision making process ? It took me and J 26 years to decide to get married so thinking about it in retrospect, maybe splashing my cash on a phone was a bit impetuous – whatever – after playing with my new toy for a couple of weeks, I thought I’d tell you all about it – good and bad.

First of all, the service from my mobile phone company, SFR, (French version of Vodaphone) was brilliant. As soon as I ordered it I started getting e-mails updating me on progress all the way to the point where it had been shipped. They said it would take a couple of days to get to me but it arrived that very day – how exciting!

Of course, Apple’s packaging is quite well done which is more than can be said for its documentation. They probably think that using the iPhone is so intuitive that they don’t need to tell you where the SIM card fits but after reading the documentation several times, and being unable to do ANYTHING without the SIM card fitted, I had to resort to searching on the WEB for an article which explained how to fit it. For what an awful lot of technology commentators call the best device of any sort on the market, to have to resort to the end of a paper clip to help install the SIM card is unbelievable. Anyway, once fitted I was off and running. I can’t quite remember how I got my e-mail system linked in but I did and managed to attach all the requisite photos so that when someone rings you, their picture appears – cute or what? The problem was the ‘synching’ of the contacts between the iPhone and my PC – seems like quite a few of my contacts on my PC disappeared which might have been my fault but I reckon I’ve got them re-installed.

Once I had the basics working, Weather, Stock Market, Blog Sites, etc it was time to start playing with it. It has a GPS device installed so no matter where you are on the planet, if you’re lost, all you do is hit the App and it tells you exactly where you are. It’s brilliant. A 79 cent application (App for iPhoners) turns the iPhone into an Altimeter and Speedometer. Another 79 cents gets you a guitar App, which is amazing. Kitty was really peed off – she’d just bought the real thing! Google Earth can be downloaded as can Skype and we're all waiting for the video calling capability which will allow Skype users not only free calls but free videoconferencing as well. A French Translator App is also free so I won’t go into my local anymore and ask for a wood (bois) when I mean a drink (boisson). I can check the stock market and the newspapers without getting out of bed and having to switch my PC on. This thing has just made me even lazier!

I know when J got her iTouch last year she said it had changed her life (what about the wedding????) but now I know what she means. The iPhone is brilliant. Go on – treat yourselves – go out and buy one.

No comments: