21 December 2009

Some Thoughts On My Trip To London

Recession – what recession? The pubs had standing room only. Every restaurant was full and my hotel had a 95% occupancy that week.

Sign in a tailor’s window. ‘Shirts – reduced from £30 to £15 each. Special deal – buy 4 for £60’ !!!

Recession – what recession? In the 18 months since I was last in London the skyline has already changed with huge skyscrapers being built all over the City.

The Tube is still the same. Overcrowded, and after every trip you feel like you need a shower.

One of the UK’s biggest selling newspapers (600,000 copies at 50p a day), The London Evening Standard, is now free. What sort of economic business model is that ? Am I missing something?

Marks and Spencers, once a delight to shop in because of the space afforded to shoppers, is now so crammed with clothes stands, you cannot wait to get out of the place - it’s claustrophobic. They’ve also got self-service check-out terminals – I had to get the assistant to help me no fewer than 4 times – me or the technology?

The building of the London Shard has started. I can’t wait to see it when it’s finished – see impression above. It will redefine London’s skyline. At 306 metres it will be significantly taller than any other building in the City of London, indeed it will be Europe’s tallest building.

Even in the rain/sleet you could get a taxi – have the bankers deserted the City?

My mate who has worked for IBM in London for 28 unblemished years has been ‘forced’ out of the company with no redundancy payment and no recognition of his service – a sign of the times?

Despite it all, London is a great city – I love it.

1 comment:

Allison said...

I've never been to London, but I do dream of going. It seems funny how some people really seem to be struggling with the recession, while in other places, there seems to be no effect whatsoever. Regardless though, I'm holding out for when I actually get to travel to London some day! =)