18 December 2009

Been To London

Sorry to those who have missed my blog for the last few days. I popped over to London for my annual Xmas Lunches and Dinners with old colleagues from both BT and IBM. I didn't have my PC with me and even if I did I'm not sure I would have pressed the right keys!

I had dinner with my old BT colleagues on Tuesday night. Great food, terrific service, great tales from days gone past and all organised by the very impressive Vanessa who really should be a top PA instead of a Probation Officer! Thanks V - a great night out.

Amazingly, I did find my way back to my hotel and fell asleep knowing that I had lunch the following day with my IBM pals. Problem was I had no idea what the meeting place was called, just that it was close by the IBM Basinghall Street office which closed about 30 years ago. Apparently, the pub was where the Basinghall St guys would go at lunchtime so using impeccable male logic I started off at the old office and wandered in the general direction I thought they might have gone all those years ago and incredibly, not more than about 3 minutes walk, I came across the 'Old Doctor Butler's Head'. A peek inside and I was convinced that this was the place. Pub of The Year in 2008, a wide range of real ales on tap and several Sky TV screens showing the cricket - it must be the meeting place and so it turned out to be.

The Old Doctor Butler's Head (pictured) was built in 1610, burned down during the Great Fire of London and was rebuilt in 1666 and apart from the ceiling fans, the odd games console and the Sky TV screens, I don't think it's changed that much over the centuries. It was owned in the 17th century by A Doctor Butler, who despite having no formal medical qualifications was widely consulted for all sorts of ailments and eventually became Court Physician to King James I. He developed a medical ale which was only available from his drinking establishments with the Old Doctor Butler's Head being the last one still standing.

From there we went to a fine old wine bar in the middle of the City which incredibly, is being compulsory purchased by the Government so that it can be torn down and become, of all things, an air vent for the new London Crossrail project. Nevertheless, the staff were in a great mood and served mountains of traditional Xmas food. With prices being reduced by 30% we probably overdid the Claret a bit and I have a hazy recollection of then getting in a cab and heading for our 3rd pub of the day - some place in Hackney or Shoreditch.

It might have been the bitter cold but more likely it was the WKD I ordered (Vodka and Irn Brew for the uninitiated) which convinced me that I should retire to my hotel and off I went, into the rain and sleet which was coming down quite hard by then. Astonishingly, I found Liverpool Street station and 20 minutes later was in my hotel room.

I think it was a great day!

No comments: