5 August 2009

Sir Bobby Robson R.I.P.

There’s been hundreds of tributes to Sir Bobby Robson who died on the 31st July, the best of which was Sky Sports. I don’t intend to do another tribute here to a football man who was as passionate as any person can get about football, suffice to say he was a giant, leading teams to huge success in England, Portugal, Holland and Spain. Despite the fact that English football managers are some of the most successful in European football, none of them have come anywhere near his achievements with different teams in different countries.

However, on a lighter note and as a legacy, he’s left us with some hilarious quotes, most of which were probably gathered in the immediate aftermath of a football match when most managers cannot string two words together. Here they are:

”The first ninety minutes of a football match are the most important.”

"We didn’t underestimate them, but they were a lot better than we thought”

"I’m not going to look beyond the semi-final, but I would love to lead Newcastle out at the final."

"He’s very fast and if he gets a yard ahead of himself nobody will catch him."

“Ray Wilkins' day will come one night.”

"I would have given my right arm to be a pianist."

“I'd say he's the best in Europe, if you put me on the fence.”

"There will be a game where somebody scores more than Brazil and that might be the game they lose."

"He never fails to hit the target, but that was a miss."

“Some of the goals were good, some of the goals were sceptical.”

Sir Bobby to Bryan Robson: "Good morning, Bobby."
Bryan: "You’re Bobby, I’m Bryan!"

.

No comments: