26 May 2009

The Logic of the French

One of the more liberated aspects of French life is for youngsters over the age of 14 to be allowed to ride 50cc scooters on the public roads once they’ve sat a test which encompasses both classroom and practical, on the road, work.

As I stood before the girl organizing the date of Guy’s test, attempting to ask her in my very bad French what was required all she could say was ‘make sure he brings his scooter with him’.

‘But he can’t cause he’s not passed the test. He’s not allowed to ride it until he’s passed the test’, I replied. ‘The police might stop him. Don't you supply him with a scooter to do the test?'

‘No monsieur, we don't supply scooters if he doesn’t bring his scooter, he can’t take the test’, she said.

I left shaking my head at French logic and €150 poorer - the fee for the test!     

1 comment:

Guy said...

Good old French logic !