11 December 2009

I'll Débroussaillage Eventually

On Monday, I had geared myself up to do the job I hate most – débroussaillaging (or something like that). It’s using an industrial sized, heavy-duty strimmer to cut down long grass and weeds and you literally get covered in all sorts of gunge. Complete with crash helmet, full face guard, Japanese face masks (yes really), welly boots and heavy duty gloves, I look like a proper worker.

I’d looked out of the window and was disappointed to see it was dry with just a hint of sunshine. I spent 20 minutes putting on all the gear and opened the garage door to go and do some serious damage to the terraces and …….. it was raining! Oh Joy! Everybody knows you can’t débroussaillage in the rain.

On Tuesday we went to San Remo, primarily for the market but also to go to a favourite little restaurant run by an Italian family and who do the most amazing pasta. In several years of going to this Italian coastal resort the journey and the parking has never been easier. Breakfast was had in a tiny cafe and then it was serious market time. Brian and I wandered off and left the girls to it but came across them at a men’s sweater stall. ‘It would be nice for you to get one of these for Xmas’, I heard J say so I chose a nice lilac cashmere v-neck. Price €30. ‘Go on – get another one’ she said so I chose a black one. ‘Three for €85’, the stall-holder said and I couldn’t believe my luck when J picked out a nice pink one. ‘Thanks darling’, I said, that’s really nice of you to get these for my Xmas’. ‘Oh I’m not paying for them. I just said it would be nice for you to get a nice new sweater for Xmas’! What a sucker!

After another €200 or €300 was handed over to stall-holders for a variety of things we’ll probably never wear, we headed up the hill to Garbys. We’d told Brian and Lynn to expect several courses and sure enough as soon as we’d sat down the dishes started coming. First was a dish of pasta pesto which was stunningly delicious. Really fresh. Then a platter of ravioli with ham in a cream sauce. This was followed by lasagne and then a dish of ricotta pie.

Veal slices and Lamb Cotoletto (in breadcrumbs) followed with plates of chips and then ice cream and Tirimisu. Washed down with sparkling wine, a carafe of red and a bottle of mineral water. The bill - €17.50 each ! Bargain.

We headed home just in time for the girls to get their glad rags on and head out for their Xmas girl’s night out. I’d organized a ‘retaliatory’ men’s night in and we hit the bar downstairs - big time. Watching a variety of videos (clean ones I hasten to add), the music was turned up, the wine and beer were poured and the cigarettes came out. Then about 11pm the girls (about 10 of them) returned and took over. Chaos! After saying goodbye to most of the ‘guests’ at about midnight, I left J and some stragglers to it. She finally hit bed at 3.15am! What stamina that girl has?

Wednesday was recovery day and thankfully the weather was terrific. My hangover would have seemed significantly worse had it been raining. It was a day spent cleaning up the bar.

Thursday and my ‘ring of death’ X-Box 360 was on the list to be fixed (it was) along with Kitty’s electric blanket (it wasn’t) but as the sun was shining (damn, blast and a few other expletives) I had to get the débroussaillage out and finally do the terraces. Unfortunately, I noticed the pool was needing cleaned so the débroussiage was put away again!

Friday – today’s highlight will be helping J with the Xmas food shopping . Aaagh!

Picture is of a débroussaillage machine.


1 comment:

Allison said...

Good luck with the débroussaillaging... it sounds prettyyy rough, though I do think you should post a picture of yourself in the outfit that goes along with it =)
Yum, I should not have read this post when I'm so hungry...hearing about your fabulous meal is making my mouth water!
Hope you're doing well, Tom!