4 September 2009

Off To See My Godmother

A short posting today as I’m flying off to England to see my godmother. She’s my mother’s sister and since my mother died in 1965, we’ve seen very little of Aunt Win. She moved house just about the same time as I moved house and as that was long before mobile phones had become prevalent, we simply lost contact.

And then a couple of years ago, my cousin, Sue who also lives in Kent, England, decided to try and trace me but as I’d moved to France (she didn’t know this) she was unsuccessful but she did manage to trace my brother, Robert, who still lives in Glasgow. Coincidentally, just about the time of year I pay my annual visit to Glasgow, my cousin and my godmother were just outside Glasgow at a christening and so we were all able to meet up for the first time in years. It was a great weekend and prompted another gathering this coming weekend.

Amazingly, my cousin (Sue) worked just 50 yards from my BT office in London and even more astonishingly, she used to use BT’s restaurant for lunch and over all those years we’d never bumped into one another. Anyway, maybe she wouldn’t have recognized me in a suit and tie!

So this morning I fly into London from Nice and my brother from Glasgow. By good fortune (planning ?), our flights arrive at exactly the same time and then we head off for England’s south east coast. The last time I was in Margate was 52 years ago – I bet it’s changed a bit!

1 comment:

Allison said...

Have a fabulous trip, Tom! And make sure to take lots of pictures =)