29 September 2009

An Indian Summer ?

Well, what a surprise and a welcome one at that. After the deluge of rain and the cold weather we had 10 days ago, the sun is back and boy, it’s hot again. Low 80s or high 20s, depending on your preferred currency, is very welcome. O.K – it’s been very pleasant before at this time of year and I vaguely remember my sons sunbathing on Boxing Day in the dim and distant past, but being an old git I can usually only remember, with any degree of certainty, one year back and this time last year we had a log fire and the central heating on.

Given the cold wet snap we’ve just had, I’d already washed, ironed and consigned my shorts to the ‘summer’ clothes drawers. I’d put the duvets on the beds and had even looked out the electric blanket which I hide each spring (otherwise J would have it on in July !). We’d stopped eating outside and Shadow started sleeping inside at night.

Now – I’m back riding my scooter in a t-shirt and go about sockless like an ageing hippy. The terraces at the two brasseries in the village are so popular with sun worshipers I have to go before noon to get a table which just means I have to drink more rosé, which is never a bad thing and to be still drinking that light refreshing wine at this time of year is definitely a bonus as far as I am concerned. And the old guys who would normally be clogging up the warmest corner of the bars playing some sort of cribbage are playing pétanque again in the village square, shooing away the dogs who think it’s just the most wonderful place to do their business – all that freshly raked gravel – wow! Or should it be bow-wow?

Most of the tourists have crawled back north leaving our village nice and quiet. Leaving us locals spaces in the car park and allowing me to go into the newsagents and still find a Daily Mail on sale at noon.

So, this nice warm weather is a real bonus. I just hope it hangs around for an old friend I’ve got coming out next week. It’s so much more sociable to eat and have drinks outside on the terrace and to travel around in light summer clothes with the top down on the car and, of course, the villages look stunning at this time of year with the summer flowers still blooming.

And finally, I usually I feel guilty writing about our good weather when my Brit friends are shivering their way to work and back and have to huddle for the whole weekend in front of the nearest radiator, but not this time. The good weather looks like it’s Europe wide – so everybody is happy.

The picture is of my favourite place - The Midi, taken today in the sunshine. I could have included one of the village flowers or the sun shining on the Tricolour fluttering above the Town Hall or even me on my scooter with t-shirt and no socks – but to me, The Midi symbolizes all that is good with French life. An unpretentious little bar which is the life and soul of the village.

No comments: