21 September 2009

Climate Change(d)

About 10 days ago we slept on top of the bed with no covers it was so hot. The fans were going 24/7 and Shadow and the cats moped about all day because of the stifling heat. The plants and trees were wilting and the pool was too warm to have a refreshing swim. The windows and doors were open all hours of the day and night to try and get a breeze through the house and salads were the order of the day. Chilled water was being drunk by the gallon.

What a difference a week (or 10 days) makes.

I’ve now looked out the 12.5 TOG duvet and the pool is too cool to swim in unless I’ve worked up a major sweat in the garden. It’s been raining non-stop for the last week and I’ve had to take the overflow plug out of the pool to allow the excess water to drain away. Shadow and the cats now sleep inside at night and J has mentioned that dreaded 4 letter word – fire! And we’re having stew for dinner tonight and the red (wine) will be out – the Rosé is consigned to the rear of the fridge, probably until next year.

I’ve never known rain like it. Not only did it rain, but it rained horizontally. The gravel is now half-way down the drive and you can hear the plants breathing again. I’ve got my Levis/Lees/Wranglers on for the first time since May and the thought of driving my Alfa with the top down would terrify an Eskimo, never mind me! And some of the gardeners have started burning their garden rubbish for the first time in months. It all points to the start of winter.

But – the forecast is for sun this week but will it be a hot sun or a wintery sun?

I suppose I could say the picture is of me looking for the kids returning home from school – but it’s not!

No comments: