21 August 2009

It’s Hot and Getting Hotter

We’ve had quite a good summer so far with only a 10 minute burst of rain a few weeks ago interrupting a run of some 8-10 weeks of hot, dry weather. It’s been so hot that olive trees and lemon trees, normally unaffected by dry weather, are wilting and in some cases dying – ah! The grass terraces are brown with only the hardiest weeds and long established trees surviving and even the big oak trees have got yellow leaves, indicating some deep-rooted problems. Get it - some deep rooted problems? Oh never mind.

Getting in the car can result in 2nd degree burns (we don’t have any cover for the vehicles) which always makes me remember that I ‘advised’ J not to get leather seats as an option for exactly the reason that they get roasting in the summer and your legs and back get burnt to cinders.

Poor Shadow just lies under the table on the terrace all day, spreading out as much as he can to maximize the amount of his body which is touching the cool tiles. I know he hates water but I would have thought in this heat he’d have been plunging into the pool or at least lying under the garden sprinklers.

J wanders around in her swimming costume all day (not a pretty sight) and I in my boxers (what a hunk) but I do have to be careful in case our lovely little ‘post girl’ comes to the door with a package …… and sees mine!

It’s at night the main problem arises – it’s just too hot to sleep despite a fan which I’m sure J got from a wind tunnel company which must have been closing down. Whether it’s the heat or the fact that I have to keep hold of my boxers to prevent them being ripped off my body by the gale, I don’t know. What I do know is that I just cannot sleep and my blog posts are getting earlier and earlier.

And the latest forecast is that France is going to have a ‘heat wave’ which is not good news. I mean, it’s hot enough down here without them telling us it’s going to get even hotter. The pool gets too hot to swim in and the ice in your gin and tonic lasts only a few minutes before it ceases to fulfill its primary function and just dilutes the gin!

People get irritable (no guesses who) and even riding on my scooter without a helmet (just down to the bottle bank, a trip I have to make twice a day now Vivienne is staying with us), is no relief.

Still, it could be worse I suppose. I looked at the forecast for Glasgow (dear Ol Glecsa Toon) and it said – Light showers (63), Rain(59), Rain (54), Rain (53), Rain (53).

Things are not so bad after all!

No comments: