25 August 2009

Blogs – No More Nasty Stuff

This first bit is paraphrased from a newspaper article I read last week ………

Liskula Cohen, a Vogue covergirl, has won a court ruling asking Google to reveal the identity of an anonymous blogger who called the former model a 'skank' . Miss Cohen, 37, went to the Manhattan supreme court to discover who had attacked her so she could sue for defamation. The ‘Skanks in NYC’ blog featured photos of Miss Cohen and described her in a series of unflattering terms.

In what may prove a far-reaching ruling, Joan Madden, a New York supreme court judge, rejected the blogger's claim that the blogs were a "modern day forum for conveying personal opinions, including invective and ranting" and should not be treated as factual assertions.

Ms Cohen said the blogger would now be sued for defamation.

The blogger’s lawyer warned that the ruling on Monday has "potentially damaging implications for free speech on the internet".

End of paraphrasing ……………

So, next week I expect a deposition from all the Frenchies I’ve insulted and in some cases, defamed. Those whose driving I’ve derided will be queuing at my front door with their avocats. The various restaurants I’ve accused of ripping off tourists and locals alike will black-ball me and sue me for demanding that my steaks are cooked ‘bien cuit’. My neighbor will cut down my palm trees safe in the knowledge that he has the full weight of the law behind him and all the builders I’ve featured as ‘rip-off merchants’ will put their prices up even higher knowing that they are safe and they’ll also get a nice little bonus from the French courts when they demand damages. My surgeon will be waiting for me the next time I have a ‘problem’ and god knows what state I’ll be in when he finishes with me – he’ll be safe as houses no matter what he does to my poor body.

Maybe I should just stick to poetry from now on?

No comments: