31 July 2009

What’s Happening at Le Brin ?

Le Brin d’Olivier (the Olive Branch) - where did that name come from? Can’t remember being consulted. People think it’s a Jewish retirement home! I suppose they’re right – I’m 'careful' with money (according to my missus), I’m retired and I’ve had the op!

Actually, It’s pretty quiet these days chez nous. The kids returned from Corfu on the 23rd and they have now left for a month in Southern Ireland with their father. It’s strangely quiet. No bickering over who has control of the TV remote. No slowing of the internet as Guy and Kitty download music and watch You Tube several hours a day. No continuous queue at the fridge as they harvest whatever food there is on the shelves like a couple of locusts. It’s idyllic, although J is already missing her ‘little dears’. I’ve fixed Skype on her PC so she can see them every now and again so we’ll see just how much they are missing their mum as they will be the ones to initiate contact.

Changing to the weather, it’s been really warm for the last 5 weeks or so. The ground is parched and the sprinklers are on every second day. It’s too hot to do much. Within a couple of minutes I’m soaking in sweat even if I’m just doing light outside work but of course, there is the pool and I have to say it’s almost worth working up a sweat just to be able to jump into the refreshing, clear, blue water and cool off…….. several times a day. It’s so hot that I’ve had to go and get a haircut only 6 weeks after my last trim which is unheard of. The ‘coiffeur’ (barber/hairdresser) doesn’t speak English so it’s a wonder that I emerge with something resembling a decent haircut. Yesterday, we were having a chat about the local music festival (Nuits du Sud - see URL at end and make sure you choose the English option) and he kept saying, ‘Moriad is playing on Sunday – you must know Moriad’. I shook my head, ashamed that I hadn’t heard of this famous, English group. Eventually he went off and got a brochure and proudly pointed to a picture of Murray Head. I’d never heard of him but seems like he’s quite popular in France!

Having installed Skype to be able to have video calls with Timmy, my youngest son who is in Qatar, I am pleased to say that we’ve had quite a few online sessions. His latest comment is ‘7 days in – 116 to go !’ He went off to Doha on his first weekend off but is now working 12-14 hour days. When I ask him what’s he’s doing out there he says he could tell me but then he’d have to kill me! All I get is that it’s 130 degrees and the food is great.

It was Angie’s birthday yesterday and last night J and I went over to help her celebrate. Tan had got her a beautiful necklace from a very expensive jewelers in Cannes and as you would expect, Tan asked the shop assistant some searching questions, the most illuminating of which was, ‘what’s the most expensive thing you sell here?’, to which the reply was, ‘two million euros sir’. I made a mental note not to let J anywhere near Boucheron.

So, that’s it from Le Brin. The weather is scorching. The animals are listless and I feel very guilty in proclaiming that it’s just too hot to do any work. Still the Ashes (cricket) is on and the football season has almost started with friendly matches now taking up the boring TV hours between 9 and 11 at night. C’mon the Gers.

http://www.vence.fr/Nuits-du-Sud-Music-Festival-2009.html

1 comment:

Allison said...

Whenever my brother and I head back to school, my parents constantly tell us about how peaceful the house is - though I'm sure, like J, they miss us more than they think (though the thought of my mom learning how to Skype makes me laugh just thinking of it!).
Enjoy the peace and quiet - and the pool! It sounds like you definitely need it on those sticky summer days :)
Have a great weekend, Tom!