24 June 2009

Heart Attack Grill – Not In France I Fear

Looks like Hooters have a bit of competition.

Whenever I’m in the US I always try and find a Hooters, not because I’m a ‘dirty old man’ (although J might say otherwise) but because I like the food and the ambience (ha ha !!) but I came across an article on the ‘Heart Attack Grill’, another US burger chain, the other day.

With waitresses dressed as nurses and their range of burgers named after various heart related illnesses, the Heart Attack Grill (HAG) will certainly be getting a visit from me the next time I’m near one.

The home page for HAG is hilarious. It warns you that their waitresses are not real nurses and don’t have any medical training. It also says that people weighing over 350lbs can ‘eat free’. Anything which promotes an unhealthy lifestyle is here for all – even ‘no filter’ cigarettes. They probably even let you smoke inside the restaurant - whatever happened to being politically correct ?

Looking at the size of their burgers (see picture – it’s the quadruple bypass burger), I can’t ever see HAG opening a branch in France. Not that they’d ever get a chance to. For a start, the French don’t eat huge meals like this. All the women are size zero and want to stay that way, whilst the men prefer a leisurely two hour meal with uncooked meat and mouldy cheese. I’ve heard that Hooters enquired about opening a branch in France a couple of years ago and were told politely where to go and I suspect HAG would suffer the same fate.

Trying to get a decent burger down here is a nightmare. MacDonalds burgers are rubbish and taste like mouldy cardboard. Burger Grill burgers are too small and the French chains such as ‘Quick’ serve a poor imitation of the MacDonalds fare.

J once took me to a sort of ‘ladies lunch place’ telling me that they did a great burger and whilst I did not really believe her, I could not pass up the chance and sure enough Les Café Douceurs served a very large, proper, minced beef, burger. The fact that even I struggled to finish it was an indication of its size and so, every couple of months, we head down to Les Café Douceurs for their version of a ‘single bypass burger. It’s great comfort food.

See links for Hooters and Heart Attack Grill below.

http://www.hooters.com/home.aspx

http://www.heartattackgrill.com/

No comments: