15 April 2009

I Didn’t Move 1000 Miles South For This

So there I was last Saturday, sitting looking out of the lounge windows and bemoaning the weather. It was the start of the Easter weekend and the sky was cloudy, with rain threatening. We’d been to our friend Wendy’s, to ‘celebrate’ the finishing of her swimming pool and if that sounds a bit poncy, the real reason was to surprise Antonio, the guy who built Wendy’s pool (and our house and a friend’s house), with an impromptu little buffet lunch. We stood there eating our paté and our Pringles and drinking our champagne, and we were all looking at the blackening sky, expecting it to rain at any moment. We’d all been ‘prepped’ about what to grab from the table if the skies opened but the weather held and the lunch continued, albeit with conversations being a bit stilted as skyward glances were made.

I left early on my scooter as my hay fever was killing me and headed home across the valley. There had been a few comments at Wendy’s that maybe I should have kept my crash helmet on as it might have alleviated my watery eyes and runny nose, but how would I have eaten and drank?

When I got home, which was only ten minutes away, I decided that I would need to stay inside for the rest of the day so I fired up the PC and read the newspapers online. One of the first articles I saw was one about the, ‘UK being Drenched over Easter’, and suddenly I felt a little better. I’m pretty selfish that way. If we don’t have good weather, why should the UK not suffer also?

I switched to the sports section and noticed that there was a football game on the telly and switched it on – Liverpool vs Blackburn Rovers. The ground was positively bathed in sunshine! And it was Liverpool. It was in the North!

I watched the game for about 30 minutes but the sunshine was getting on my nerves. There were people with no shirts on for goodness sake and kids clothed only in t-shirts. It was all too much for me. I switched it off.

It was now approaching 3pm UK time so I fired up the PC again to see if I could get the Glasgow Rangers game against Motherwell on the web. Celtic had drawn earlier in the day so a win would put my beloved team right on their coat tails. After a few bad links, I managed to find a site showing the game and waited for it to stop ‘buffering’. The game came on and the ground was ….. absolutely bathed in sunshine. In Glasgow! In fact the sun was so bright that the camera had difficulty following the ball as it moved from the bright side of the park into the shadows cast by the stands.

This made me even more depressed. Glasgow was in bright sunshine and here on the ‘wonderful’ Cote d’Azur, it was cloudy and cold. This is not what I moved 1000 miles south for!

As I sat in front of a large log fire wondering if it would rain and I would have to go outside and cover up the logs which were only just drying out after last week’s rain, Rangers scored goal after goal and suddenly my mood lightened. Things weren’t so bad after all. As they say, ‘every cloud has a blue lining’.

And for all you footie fans who don’t know how to get football on the PC – try the following link. Once you choose the ‘Sports’ option, you have to keep trying the various sites until you pick up a game.

 http://www.justin.tv/sportsmmans

No comments: