19 March 2009

A Digital Digit !!

Did you hear about the guy in Finland who had to have a bit of one of his fingers amputated after a motorcycle crash and had it replaced with a USB memory stick ? No ? Don’t believe me ? Look at the picture and read on.

It’s not as far fetched as you would think. My initial reaction was that the memory stick was somehow linked up to the nerves in what remained of his finger and he was able to ‘send’ information from his brain to his digit and henceforth on to the memory stick and hey presto into the PC and furthermore, onto the screen. Just think what trouble that could get you into. I’d never be able to have my finger plugged into the PC if Britney Spears appeared on TV. But then I’m weird like that! I suppose it might come in useful for some things but none spring to mind at the moment. I mean keeping a memory stick handy is no big deal. You can keep them in your pockets these days, they are so compact. Getting one put on your finger is just a bit of a gimmick.

In fact, as you might see from the picture above, the prosthetic finger is literally ‘stuck’ onto what remains of his shortened digit and can be removed, and the USB bit is ‘hidden’ under his false nail, so when he needs to stick his finger in he simply peels back his nail and off he goes. Also brings new meaning to the phrase, which I used in my blog only yesterday, about ‘getting or pulling your finger out’.  And I suppose when he passes his memory stick to someone else to use (yuck), I suppose that’s him ‘giving the finger’. Ha Ha !

What was even more hilarious and I don’t know if it was planned or just a cruel twist of fate but alongside this story was an advert for …… yup…… ‘The Ironkey – the world’s most secure flash drive memory stick’. If that was planned by the ad company it was brilliant but somehow, as I say, it was probably just a weird coincidence.

So what else can we say about this advancement of ‘micro’ technology (get it?)? Well as some of you may know the normal memory stick is a male part, i.e. it plugs into the ‘female’ USB port on your computer so does he get a little shiver every time he ‘plugs in’ (I’ve got to be careful here cause kids read my blog and I don’t want to have to classify it as ‘18’) and when he does ‘plug in’ or insert his digit does he first cover his PC with a blanket or something? And, if, by some chance, the guy is gay, does he have to – no, let’s not go there.

But let’s just suppose those surgeons had gone one step further and had actually connected his nerves, and therefore his brain to his USB digit. What difference would it have made? Well, for a start he could just look at stuff on the TV or a film and simply transfer the images going through his brain, down through his USB into his PC and you’ve got a copy. No illegal downloads here.

With the right software, you could simply ‘think’ e-mails and hey-presto, they would be produced and sent.

What if he smoked and used his USB finger to hold the cigarette. Is there a chance all his data could go up in smoke? 

Any other ideas? Post them in a comment and let others see them.

 

2 comments:

Allison said...

Wow, that is insane!
That might be useful though if I thought of a brilliant idea for a paper while I was still in bed (which always happens), and I could store it somehow instead of forgetting as I slept!

Anonymous said...

Well, talk about Handy accessories ….
As mentioned above, I don’t understand the great benefit of a finger plug-in! Why not to use a simple trustful driver ?
I take my portable SanDisk USB everywhere, in my purse! It’s light and easy to use.