23 January 2009

The Power of Blogging

I’ve said many times why I blog. It’s my amazing, wildly extrovert personality which feels the urge to write each day (apart from weekends) and share the incredibly varied things I do with the world. Yeah right!

Nope – I do it for a variety of reasons, one amongst many, is of course, my therapist telling me that in order to retain some degree of sanity (note the ‘some’), I must live out the weird and wonderful fantasies which dominate my every waking hour – hence why I’m writing this at 4.24am!

And so, from that you may deduce that many of my blogs, the things I’ve said and the things I’ve said I’ve done are total bollocks. It’s all a fantasy. It’s like the Fantasy Football thing I do every week. You live out your dreams on a newspaper website – it doesn’t matter what you spend in order to get the best team, it’s all an illusion, a figment of your imagination.

OK – enough of this literary crap. I really just wanted to say that one of the great things about blogging, especially on the Google site (I don’t really know if others do it),  is that you can automatically follow other blogs. You don’t have to remember to look up a particular blog each day, the Google system seems to know when somebody you’re interested in has written something and lo and behold, when you log onto your blogging site, there it is – Allison has posted something fascinating about her life in the USA. Jon who runs a gite or something down in South West France and whose Blogs, unlike mine, are short and sweet, has written something witty about life in the Vendee. The various football writers, whose blogs I follow and who all try to outdo each other, post articles throughout the day and keep me bang up to date on all things to do with the round leather ball – actually they’re plastic now!

It’s terrific. It’s like having a newspaper which only contains the things you want to read, delivered to your door on the hour, every hour, day and night. And, this is the Scottish mean git coming out in me. You don’t pay a thing. Bingo!

And so, this short posting is to encourage those of you who don’t particularly want to share your innermost thoughts, dreams and fantasies with the world, to consider starting a blog – even if it’s just to get all those things you’re interested in reading, delivered automatically right to your LCD.

One example. I would have missed the following article in the newspaper as it was tucked away in the deepest recesses of the sports section, but as it was a blog I ‘follow’, it was sitting there looking at me the next time I signed on. It’s football related but I’m sure non-footie fans will still find it very funny, especially the video at the end, and the one about Beckham is hilarious.

 http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/2009/01/footballs-top-1.html

1 comment:

Allison said...

I enjoy reading your blog too! It's really fun hearing about what's going on in Europe - I feel like it makes me much more cultured ;)
Thanks for the encouragement!